View post (New Band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
07/17/2017 5:12 pm

Not sure who is still around here, but for anybody that is you may find it interesting to know I am in a new band. My duo partner will be retiring in a year or so and I decided I should start searching for a new gig sooner rather than later.

So I created a profile up on bandmix. I was honestly overwhelmed by the response that I got...there was a lot of interest. A band contacted me needing a guitar player. They are a little further away than I would have perferred (45 min.) but I thought if they are the right band for me, it would be worth the drive.

They gave me 7 songs to prepare in 3 weeks for an audition. It was a mix of pop, classic rock, and a ska tune. Not all in my wheelhouse, but nothing totally crazy. I worked really hard for those 3 weeks and landed the gig!!! I felt like I was preparing for a final exam. It was all pretty relaxed and we all get along quite well. They are established, experienced, and very talented musicians, so it's great to be rubbing shoulders with these folks! We are a 5 piece...bass, guitar, keys, drums, and vocals.

Last week I had my first rehearsal with them as an official member...even got a band t-shirt. Now I have to keep my nose to the grindstone and try to keep up my pace of learning 3 songs a week. The first gig I will play will be at the end of September. It's agressive, but realistic.

So much fun! Just a month into learning songs for this band I can already see an improvement in my playing.

In the meantime, I am still playing in my duo, so while I'm learning I still get to get out and gig with some very familiar tunes.