View post (Cedar versus spruce)

View thread

FirebirdNick
Full Access
FirebirdNick
Full Access
05/16/2017 1:23 pm

hi, I'm looking for a new acoustic for general use; strumming and fingerpicking, any style of playing really. Mainly for home use. I've been trying out some Maton 808 body styles (b/c I feel uncomfortable with bigger bodied guitars). Options for the top are either cedar or spruce. The advice I seem to be getting though is that cedar is only good for fingerpicking and spruce is better for strumming. One salesperson actually said to me - you can't strum this cedar top, it can only be played "delicately". So I stopped my strumming and put it down. Personally, I like the warmth of cedar, but feel perfectly comfortable playing it more aggressively as well, so why can't I? Is there some sort of convention that I should follow? To me spruce sounds a bit thin. And yet it makes up the majority of all guitars so it is undeniably very popular and I'm probably an odd ball. Wondering if anyone can share some pearls of wisdom for me, maybe to help me feel a bit better about choosing cedar if I finish up going that way...