View post (Best guitar pedals)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/06/2017 2:14 pm

This is great time to be playing electric guitar! The digital modelling amps & rack units are amazing. And there are more great pedals than ever available by big manufacturers as well as small builders. More than I could ever even try! :)

When I first started playing as a kid in the 70s you didn't have too many options & it was very much trial & error. Nowdays you can play through any of them at a store through different guitars & amps, or watch YouTube gear demos forever!

Because I learned by playing through tube amps & with basic pedals that's my go to solution if possible. That's how my technique & playing style developed, so that's what is most comfotable for me. I have computer software plug-ins & a Line6 POD. Those are great solutions for some studio work. But they never feel as comfortable as a tube amp & a Boss overdrive pedal. :)

There are 2 things you should consider when thinking about equipment.

1. Use what works for you.

What equipment makes it easy for you to play the guitar? If you are fighting or strugging to make some amp or pedal sound good, then you should find another piece of gear to try. There are just too many options available to have something that doesn't inspire you & make it a joy to play.

2. Use the right tool for the job.

Are you playing in you home studio? A pro studio? An open mic jam? A big club with a PA? A small rock band in a basement or garage? A country band in a small bar with 2 other guitars? What style of music are you playing?

Sometimes you have to follow point 2 instead of point 1. The ideal is to be able to follow both point 1 & 2! But it's important to consider what you actually plan to do with the equipment. If you are only going to play in your home studio or open jam you really don't need a 100-watt Marshall & a $2000 original Klon overdrive pedal. :)

Originally Posted by: stratmanjimbo

I'm not a huge one for effects pedals (although primarily a "purist"......nice tube amp with reverb around 3-4, bass, treble.........I do appreciate cool effects and sustain)........which one (or two.......no more than 3 though) efeects pedals would U recommend and why??

If I was limited to only one pedal it would be my Boss Super Overdrive SD-1.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SD1

That's because it's the most widely applicable pedal I've ever used & it perfectly matches my playing style, technique & pick attack. You can use it to get anything from slight grit, to beefy gain to full on distortion. And it sounds great at every one of those levels.

It also pairs well with every single tube amp I've ever used: big & small Marshall, big & small Fender, mid-sized & small Reason Grande & Bambino.

I also rely a lot on my Zoom MS-50.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS50G

It's awesome because it has a bunch of models of classic pedals all in one unit. Chorus, reverb, delay, flange, overdrives & more. It even has a great auto wah setting that can simulate my wah pedal & I don't even miss my wah-wah pedal!

Also, I did a post comparing the Line6 POD to my Marshall here:

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?f=25&t=44617

Gear chasing is fun! :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory