View post (Comfortably Soloing)

View thread

maggior
maggior
03/24/2017 5:13 am

So my most favorite guitar solos of all time have been the solos from Comfortably Numb. Aside from their epic nature, part of what appealed to me about them since I first heard them back in 1981 was the accesability of them...the beauty was in the deceptive simplicity. They were just raw expression of emotion to me.

I first learned these solos 17 years ago when I was taking private lessons. I realized very quickly now very much "not simple" they were. It was discouraging in a way, but they shaped my playing in a very real way. The last 17 years have been me chasing the greatness of these solos.

Over the past 17 years I've run through them trying to fine tune them. Tonight I found a backing track and got up the nerve to hit record and see what happened.

These are far from perfect, but it is the first time that I feel my playing is in the slightest way worthy of the originals. I felt removed from myself as I played these.

As I kind of expected, I got lost midway through the second solo...but I decided to carry on improvising. That was where it was really fun as I went off on a tangent.

Anybody that has listened to my playing over the past few years I think will recogize how much I've been influended by David Gilmour.

Enough of my jabbering...grab a listen and I hope you enjoy what you hear.

https://app.box.com/s/xn251e7l7s394tqzbr9angprfroukszt