View post (The current forum sucks: Suggested improvements)

View thread

Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/16/2019 5:12 pm
Originally Posted by: matonanjin2
Originally Posted by: maggior

Forum activity here has dropped to all time lows also. When I first joined, this was quite an active community. Slowly I've seen people fade away and no longer post.

For me, what made this site great wasn't just the lessons and the instructors but the vibrant user community. It was great to communicate with my fellow guitar and music nuts!! There are other places on the Inernet where I get that interaction, but it's still sad to see it gone from GuitarTricks. I don't know if it's a sign of fewer GT subscribers or the fact that forum usage has just dropped.

I've read elsewhere that forums are becoming a thing of the past...forums are becoming what MySpace has become :). I've seen it suggested that Facebook fills the void left by forums, but I don't see it....Facebook groups are too chaotic.

I agree with everything thing that maggior just said, above. And I can say this with some authority. I was a relatively active member here as I was going through Fundamentals 1. There was a vibrant, active community here. My learning path then took me a different direction as I worked on my Blues learning rather than go through the Blues path here. (Not due to any disatisfaction here) I was absent from here for many months.

When I came back the forum is a waste land. I have tried my part to do some posting. But it remains very inactive.

I'm not sure that I agree that forums are dying. FB groups may have some impact. But I am active in a few other groups, I waste a lot of time there, and am an admin on one, and see a lot of activity. The PRS guitars forum (https://forums.prsguitars.com/) probably has hundreds of posts per day. Look at te activity of My Les Paul! I realize that those are guitar model centric forums. But I am also member of a few other forums, teaching forums, thet would be considered competitive to here. So I won't mention those names. They have comparatively multiples of activity.

I fully realize and appreciate that there is limited time on the part of teachers here and, of course, limited resources that they feel they need to allocate elsewhere. And certainly, nor do I understand the business model. But I would think that membership and activity here would feed subscriptions to the lessons. If someone here was raving about a lesson I would certainly think it would encouraged some others to consider said lesson.

As it stands, with the exception of the occasional song I'm working on, I am most likely going to be absent again from here.

Hi there. We think that the forum is a pretty active place these days, and if you click on the "New Posts" tab at the top of the forum, you'll see all the new messages that are written each day. Please keep in mind that Maggior's comment was from over 2 years ago, so there's that.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.