View post (Accurate tuning)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/02/2002 2:11 am
I just had a brief discussion of that very thing with my favourite guitar tech, and it seems that even with the compromises introduced by that tuning method, the result is still equal tempered tuning. What the guitar needs is a way to achieve tempered tuning. Pianos can achieve this because each note is produced by a different string, so each one can be tuned to an optimum frequency. A fretted instrument like a guitar has to incorporate some kind of compromise because each string covers at least one octave, and as much as two octaves on a 24-fret guitar. This is further complicated by the differing amounts of tension added by fretting a string at different positions along the neck. The more I dig into this, the more complicated it gets, and the more laughable it seems that here, in the year 2002, we are still stuck with the fret-locating formula proposed by Pythagorus! I may not get through this, but I can see the need to start from scratch, and come up with something that actually works, all the time, every time.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons