View post (Blues lessons - newbie)

View thread

alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
11/06/2016 10:39 pm

Hi all, I am a new member to GT. I consider myself to be a beginner, but have had an old acoustic guitar loafing around for a few years now, so I have some chords under my belt and do have a bit of music theory behind me.

I recently bought my first electric guitar and want to get a bit more serious about progressing.

I am really interested in learning to play the blues, and have started into the blues lessons. I really enjoy them, and have made some progress.

Thing is, I want to play songs (doesn't everyone!!??!!). I decided to start with "Baby please don't go" (Muddy Waters) because I like the song and it listed as one of the easiest Blues songs in GT.

I have progressed to being able to play all the parts reasonably well, but there is no way I can play it at the pace the jam track/performance video play at. I get bits of it, but playing the whole thing at that pace seems way off for me. I'm sure that in a few years I might come close.

My real issue is that this is rated as "beginner" tune (2 guitars difficulty). If that's so, then there is no way I can attempt a 3 guitar difficulty song anytime in the forseeable future! I really love to play the song, just wish it was playable at a "slightly" slower pace.

Has anyone else struggled to keep up with this beginner level song? Can anyone recommend another Blues song from the list that might be more doable for a person of my meagre abilities?

Alf