View post (Which chord come next? on my new song)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2016 3:11 pm
Originally Posted by: Abadez
I have come up with nice chords as i decided to be one of my composed song, i started with (Bm, A, Em)

But i am confused which chord can be next?

Those chords belong together naturally in the key of B minor.

Bm - i
C# dim - ii dim
D maj - III
Em - iv
F#m - v
Gmaj - VII
Amaj - VII

So you've got: Bm (i) - A (VII) - Em (iv). You could play one of those other chords. But you don't have to!

You could look at it like a modal progression, you could just play any chord you like the sound of, regardless of the key.

But if you're composing, writing a song, then a better question to ask first is: what's the melody? Then, what's the rhythmic phrasing of song? What kind of sound, style, genre are you after?

If you want a pop-acoustic strumming song, then you've probably got enough chords with those 3, and you need to start singing a melody over those chords until you've got something catchy.

If you want a rock song, then you might have enough for a verse or chorus, but you might need a single note riff to play along with or in between those chords.

If you want a slightly more sophisticated pop sound you might just play an F#7 after the Emin before cycling back to the Bmin.

The options are virutally limitless. Only depends on your knowledge & what you want to create. Have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory