View post (Sober)

View thread

Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/07/2016 12:11 am
Great point! Sorry I was a bit vague about that.

I'm using a macbook laptop with Logic Pro and guitar amp modeling plugins. Unfortunately, the way we produce the videos - I have to be plugged in direct and use headphones, so I'm not going to be able to make the feedback sound like the recording.

The reason I implied the student would be playing through an amp is because that's really the only authentic way to make the feedback swell sound like the recording. I realize now I should have talked a bit further about that, and some ways to approximate it while playing through a modeler.

Yes I did hammer onto the note, but you could also pick it. My guitar’s volume was down, and I rolled it up to swell into the feedback. Using vibrato was a way to sustain the note into the riff without getting an amp’s natural feedback, so I suppose that is one method to use when playing through a modeler to mimic that feedback swell.

You might also be able to coax feedback from a modeler if you plug the output of the modeler into a speaker (could be a floor monitor, studio reference monitors, or even a home stereo) but you would need some significant volume for it to feedback. But beware, sometimes feedback from a modeler can sound a bit weird and unnatural.

Some modelers even have an effect called a “feedbacker” that you could mess around with as well. I know Boss makes an effect like that.

Hope this helps!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach