Best Songwriters of all time?

DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
05/02/2020 1:33 am
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

It's funny. I too have a strong memory (albeit a general one) associated with that song. It was a hot sweltering summer in suburban MD, and I had a part time job at Tippy's Taco. I was driving from the location I normally worked at to a second location in to fill in for someone for the week. I don't know why I associate that song with that memory. I guess it was on the radio.

[br]I like your story. It's funny how a song can have such a strong association.

My memory is being on vacation with my best friend's family, 12 years old I think. We were in their Dodge van, with the carpet and round windows and captain's chairs - very cool for a family vehicle. I remember being in the middle kind of leaning up between the front seats eagerly looking through the front as we pulled into Houston, Tx. My first experience with a real city, I think. Anyway, it had been raining and gray, but as we rounded this big curve on highway 59 the Houston skyline looms ahead, my first sighting. The clouds are starting to break, and the sunlight breaks through and the sky has that "gloaming" quality. Steam is rising, because as you said, that was a brutally hot summer. And just as all of that scenery was playing out, here comes that awesome hook from Baker Street, and it just fit the scene for me. Every time I here the song, that's where I go. It was a special trip for me for a lot of reasons, and that little moment is locked in forever, largely because of the song, I think.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 1
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
05/02/2020 1:39 am

I think when this thread started in 2001 a couple of people groused about it being about guitar playing songwriters. I just looked back and noticed the thread started in 2001, then went on into 2002, then took a break for 16 years before someone revived it. Plenty of people were saying The Beatles then, and I think they would probably win at least a plurality today.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 2
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
05/02/2020 1:43 am

Leonard Cohen anyone? In the conversation for HOF?[br][br]

Notice, I am not really discussing best or greatest anymore.

# 3
alissamariah11
alissamariah11
05/18/2020 5:48 pm
Originally Posted by: I would have to agree and say Bob Dylon along with Neil Young! but i would also lke to give thanks to Axel Rose, Billy Joel,Kurt Cobain and Noel Gallahger for their memorable lyrics.
[br][br]I agree! Billy Joel's songs are great!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.