View post (Best Songwriters of all time?)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
05/02/2020 1:13 am
Originally Posted by: manXcat
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourneyProbably been mentioned a few times, but how about Cat Stevens (Yusuf).

[br][u]Yusuf is definitely up there[/u] along with Carole King "Tapestry" et al, or James Taylor as anyone around in that time of "Cat Stevens" heyday would recall.

In the modern through contemporary music category no-one comes close to "The Beatles" Lennon & McCartney in quantity, quality or success.

That could be extended chronologically to popular music of the past century through to famous names like Lerner and Lowe, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe Gershwin, Berlin, Porter. Too many to name but one "best" of all time.

Carole King has got to be up there in the top 20 of 20th century american songwriters in any genre. I didn't mention her because someone had said that they were just keeping this to guitar players. Maybe she dabbles. I've never had the chance to see her live, but I did get to see the musical Beautiful a couple of years ago, based on her life. It was also pretty excellent (and of course, it featured all her hits). And yeah, Yussaf is pretty excellent too. I never cared that much for the song Anticipation by Carly Simon (I think I associated it with the Ketchup commercial) until I learned that she wrote that about Yussaf when they were dating. After listening more closely to the lyrics, and viewing them from that standpoint, I love it. Well, I'm wandering.