View post (Best Songwriters of all time?)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
05/02/2020 1:05 am
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

I thought about Nilsson when I mentioned Cat Stevens. I don't know if he wrote enough "great" songs. I think two or three very good songs and probably a lot of better than average songs, but I am not sold on including him in my personal HOF.

I think some people don't take Croce all that seriously because of a few lightweight songs like Bad Bad Leroy Brown, You Don't Mess Around With Jim, and Roller Derby Queen, but he also wrote a lot of other really classic songs. For me, he is at least a borderline HOFer.

I also meant to respond to the Gerry Rafferty nomination by alisok99, but similar to Nilsson, not sure he did enough. Baker Street, Right Down the Line, and Stuck in the Middle with You are pretty iconic, for sure, but enough supporting material? I'm not sure. I have really vivid memories of a particular event from my life that Baker Street triggers instantly, so that is really meaningful for me, but still, not sure if there is enough. You would have to persuade me, alisok! I am glad you threw his name out there. (as if anyone was waiting for me to opine)

It's funny. I too have a strong memory (albeit a general one) associated with that song. It was a hot sweltering summer in suburban MD, and I had a part time job at Tippy's Taco. I was driving from the location I normally worked at to a second location in to fill in for someone for the week. I don't know why I associate that song with that memory. I guess it was on the radio.