View post (Best Songwriters of all time?)

View thread

pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
07/27/2002 6:24 am
Lyle Lovett, Merle Haggard, Jackson Browne, Chuck Berry, hey not profound but cetainly prolific, Brian Wilson, Paul Simon, Willie, Sting, this list could go on forever, their are alot of good songwriters, I wouldn't take anything away from Segovia, but how did he wind up in a songwriter list? A transcriber of great works, which is an artform in it's self for sure, but I don't recall him writing any songs which is kind of essential to being a songwriter, I know I'm just being a pain.What qualifies one as being a Great Songwriter anyhow, is it popularity, or profoundness, quanity or quality, or does personal preference have alot to do with it, the reason I ask is because I see C.C. Deville mentioned(and others) and no one comments about a lack of profundity, but Hendrix is called overrated, I'll pick Burning of the Midnite Lamp or If 6 was 9, or anything off of Electric Ladyland over Unskinny Bop, if it's just about Hits, why didn't anyone mention Brooks and Dung, they crank out about 2 or 3 pieces of commercial tripe a week...