View post (Grounding problem.)

View thread

James8831
James8831
07/07/2002 11:04 pm
I just reread that linked post Lordathestrings and it is indeed scary.

I stay away from the HT,usually, but (recently) had a cheap guitar that was "fritzing" through the amp- intermitent earthing and vol.pot (bought both dirt cheap so..)

Anyway, I plug this thing in and it's still intermittent,[being lazy] touched the metal handle "retainer" ,which I've since found is connected to the amp's earth by the handle retaining bolts!, of the amp (squier15) and *tingle* luckilly not ZAP.
Needless to say 5 mins later that gtr was earthed -solidly ..and the amp has yet to be seen to,but, I won't be selling it like that.

mesabooger thanks for the foil advice.

John,that pie-dish foil is ok and will fit it's just difficult to make it "conform" to the contours of the pickup rout.I'd go with mesabooger on this and get the proper foil.

http://www.stewmac.com has that foil,reasonable postage and delivery times to the UK too.

Take it a step at a time and you'll be OK,if in doubt just ask...people here have forgotten an awful lot about electronics,i mean they know an awful lot ;).

2 yrs or so ago I couldn't wire a plug properly ,now...I can remember how to sometimes.

Cheers.

[Edited by James8831 on 07-08-2002 at 08:11 AM]
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..