View post (New stuff)

View thread

maggior
maggior
09/22/2015 12:39 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500Aw living the dream

It's cool to see someone from the site out playing, it should give a lot of other people inspiration to stay at it. Exposer is always good and your having a good time... That's hard to beat.

I like the freedom you have with jut the two of you playing. If you want to hold a note longer or sing a chorus again you just have to lock eyes and node one way or the other. You don't have to get 3 or more people on board.

I can sing but most people do not enjoy it so I never sang when playing. It is a bad habit, but when I was learning new songs fast I just remembered one verse and the course for each song. I would sing those words over and over for each verse. Not having to remember all the words let me concentrate on the music.

Thanks for posting.

It's surprisng how well a duo comes off. You are right...there's much more flexibility only having to coordinate 2 parts. It also means learning songs is faster, set up/tear down is quicker, schedules easier to manage, and more venue opportunities. We can play anywhere that has room for a DJ. My old band is still trying to get off the ground over a year later...my partner and I got this off the ground about 4 months.

Singing is something I'm working on now. I can do backup vocals and did some that night...just not on these songs. The hard part is playing and singing at the same time! On "Can't You See", it was going well and I didn't want to ruin it...I wanted to focus on my guitar playing :).

I posted this in hopes that somebody may find it inspiring. I came to this site almost 3 years ago. Granted I wasn't a beginner, but I had limited lead and improvisational skills and little confidence. All of the folks here, subscribers and instructors, were instrumental (pun intended :) in helping me attain this goal.