View post (Autowah Funk Question!)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/08/2015 3:04 pm
Congrats on the new gear! :) I have an autowah feature on my Zoom multi-FX & my Crate DX112. Both are great for when I have to sing or do something other than keep my foot on my regular wah pedal.

I'm going to answer your questions out of order to better explain it!
Originally Posted by: icebreaker1588
I would consider this pedal to be something that a beginner should not use.[/quote]
It is a difficult FX to get used to, but more to the point what do you want to use it for? While playing with pedals & new sounds is awesome fun, at the end of the day you have to figure out the practical application of an effect. The autowah only does certain things. What you are expecting to do with it might really only be possible with an actual wah pedal that you can manually control.
Originally Posted by: icebreaker1588 Pick attack does effect the pedal so I do realize that only 9 months of experience with playing guitar will hinder me. Pick attack is something which slowly clicks in as you become more experienced...

You just hit the biggest nail right on the head. :D

Autowahs are extremely sensitive to pick attack. So you need to work on refining your skill in this area. Practice playing licks & riffs with a light attack, a medium attack & a heavy attack. Intentionally & consciously work on your pick attack as part of your practice routine.

Play the same short riff or lick over & again with different amounts of pick attack. Try it with the autowah set on one setting to see what happens. Change the settings & try the exact same riff or lick with different attacks.

This is the trial & error stage. You are gathering important info about how to use your gear & how it responses to certain situations.

Remember to isolate only one variable at a time! Play the same riff, same FX setting, alter pick attack. This will help you build your pick attack variation skill as well as help you get a feel for the FX unit.
[QUOTE=icebreaker1588]Most of the time when I play I cannot get an even tone. It either goes really extreme on the treble or really extreme on the bass depending on which way the setting on my sound scoop switch is. I try playing with my "peak" knob and it can sort of help but to be honest the knob doesn't seem to do a whole lot.

The product website also supports the idea of taking the time to really fine tune the settings on the gain knob in particular.

"There is a Gain control to set the input level to an appropriate strength so that you can trigger the effect with any type of pickups or instrument level. This control is critical. Pick an open string on your guitar and adjust this control until you hear the wah sound rise and fall. Set just right it sounds like a wah pedal rocking back and forth as you play a note."

https://robertkeeley.com/product/neutrino/

Hope this helps! Ask more if necessary & have fun experimenting with your new pedal!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory