View post (Tube Amp questions...)

View thread

NickThePick
Full Access
NickThePick
Full Access
09/13/2015 9:38 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowOkay, so now I'm having some slightly annoying issues with my amp... First off, the Drive Channel sounds way too muddy and bassy to my liking (I've tried turning down the Bass a bit and increasing Mids and Treble, but it doesn't change the tone a lot). I've come to find that I mainly use the Drive Channel when I practice, but when I Jam or play songs, I use the Clean Channel and some Pedals. Could the muddy Drive Channel be an indicator that I need to buy new tubes?
[/QUOTE]
The age of the tubes has very little effect of the tone unless they are really, really bad, so I would be very surprised if tube age were the issue. I test tube amps regularly and the preamp tubes are seldom a problem. Even the power ones tend to last much longer than people seem to think. It's easy to blame the only parts that you can change yourself:)

Originally Posted by: KasperowThere's also an absurdly huge amount of noise, even though I have a Noise Gate in my signal chain... I've solved this by turning up the threshold on the Gate, so there's no noise when I play my newly acquired Fender Strat, with the result that all the softly picked notes on my other guitars also get muted... Again, could the extreme amounts of noise come from the tubes needing to get replaced?

Noise is usually a consequence of too much gain. Having the drive cranked high is a great way to generate noise. You have to isolate the issue. Start by simplifying. Remove all pedals, fx loops and just plug in with your guitar vol set to max. Start with the drive low and increase until you get the tone you want. If that is too noisy then there may be a problem. Assuming that is OK, add your pedals one at a time to see if one in particular is responsible. Try to avoid setting the pedal so that it reduces the signal significantly as that will increase the noise.

It could be a fault, but I think that is less likely.

[QUOTE=Kasperow]I'm hoping someone knows a solution. All pedals and amp are grounded to the same power-outlet, so there shouldn't be any Ground Loops causing the hum...