View post (how do you come up with imaginitive lyrics?)

View thread

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/20/2005 3:59 am
I used to have that problem but I began observing more things and seeing other things in different views. If you just write about hardships you're gonna run out of ways to express yourself with variety, however if you open your mind and absorb everything then you won't suffer from recycled lyrics quite as much. That takes care of that, now onto step number 2. I hate blunt lyrics. If my mind doesn't have something to wander with then I don't want to hear it, not to say I won't hear it, I'd just prefer it put better. Look at it like a salesman. Which would make more sales? "Would you like to buy this guitar?" or "Can't you envision yourself, up on stage, sold out audience, all cheering your name as you effortlessly drift into a solo, every note perfectly placed and bringing nothing but cheers of approval?" Don't settle for something that sounds stupid. Make us feel it, make us understand. What always helps is a rhyming dictionary, thesaurus and a dictionary. I keep those three books nearby when I sit down to write lyrics and I've gotten noticably better since my lyrical dawn. Also, reading old English literature helps too. Having said this all, hoping that at least someone reads it all, I've noticed I have really long posts. Does anyone think I over do it?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.