View post (How to get an awesome sounding recording)

View thread

Torsten Borg
Torsten Borg
11/27/2014 9:04 pm
Originally Posted by: jamie.shields333I always wonder how people get great home recordings. I have a Rode NT1000 and I'm thinking about saving up for the bluebird which seems to be very popular in my genre of female singer/songwriter recordings. I have a relatively inexpensive interface (Audiobox USB PreSounus) and a MacBook Pro. My mic broke and I had it fixed but haven't tried recording with it since, I've just been using the mic on my laptop and editing sound in Garageband.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the bluebird, but I won't do that until I understand more about recording. How do you set up the space? I feel like a lot more goes into recording a high quality track than what I understand at this point.

Hi Jamie!

I would check the microphone to see if it works. If it does, i wouldn't bother buying a new microphone until you have a room in your apartment/house which is treated properly, and meant for recording.

See, it all begins from having a good sounding room. This is probably the most overlooked and underrated thing in home studios nowadays, which is a shame.

Recording in a bad sounding room is sort of the same thing as taking photos with bad lighting. It doesn't matter if you have a 5 grand mic, or a 5 grand camera, the photos won't just look as good as they could without that proper lighting, and the recordings won't sound as good as they could without proper acoustic treatment. And there's very little you can do in the mix about it, to make it sound better.

Giving it even one more example. If you record an acoustic guitar with the guitarist playing a D chord. You can't change that D chord to a decent A chord in the software. If you record in your bathroom, you can't change that room to the living room in a software.

What's my point? Getting it right at the source!

That's just one of many tips i could give you. But you want to start from where the sound is created.

I am in the process of making a home studio beginner course at the moment. It's looking like it's gonna be out in the beginning of next year. It's gonna cover the basics and be a very easy to understand course, and very exciting! Hope that doesn't sound too much like advertising (dear moderator, let me know if it bothers you and i'll erase these words).

If you'd want, you could send your email address to me as a personal message here on Guitar Tricks and i'll send you an email when the product is out!

Hope this helps,
Torsten