View post (New blues jam - Am this time)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
08/31/2014 7:32 pm
Well, good news, Rich. I've managed to solve the problem with no sustain on the MIDI-bass. Turns out I hadn't quite understood how it worked. Apparently, the lower register has no sustain at all, while the higher register has sustain but feeds back like crazy. The solution? I just used the middle register. It's still an octave lower than a regular guitar, and after adjusting a few parameters, the bass has a nice, somewhat warm and organic sound to it. It's not really very loud, though, but it works.

After getting the Bass right, I threw in the 4-bar drum loop I had, gave it a listen, and felt like it was missing something crucial to get that rock ballad-ish feel I was looking for, so I threw some acoustic piano into the mix (well, MIDI Acoustic Piano, at least), and gave it another listen. Sounds much better now. Almost like something I'd use for an intro to a rock ballad, which gave me a couple of ideas. First off, I'll make sure to save this track. Secondly, I'll try looping it a couple of times and improvising to it. Third, I'll listen back to it, note down which parts I find sound good over it and which don't, and then finally make the recording available for your listening pleasure... And hope you'll give it a listen, of course :) I expect the recording to be up some time tomorrow...
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...