View post (help me solo)

View thread

TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
06/12/2002 8:43 pm
Leftside, I can sympathise with that feeling. It took me a lot of time and patience to become proficiant in soloing, and the higher frets of the guitar were frustrating at first. The way I learned is a combination of whats already been said, use the melody to form the solo if it feels right, then extemporise on it. Remember, many musicians spend hours improvinsing before they come up with a solo they're happy with.

Don't be afraid to copy things from the people you like. Great musicians borrow from each other's music all the time. I was always told 'Imitate now, understand later.' If you copy a solo you know what the original artist knows....finding out how to do your own thing with that knowledge will take time.

Also consider how the chords behind the solo will affect the sound. If you want an example, download 'Dirty Women' by Black Sabbath - get the studio version, then the live version from the Reunion album......notice how the live version doesnt have rhythm behind the solo.....the result is a much more bare sound. Work out major and minor solos over chords....this is a good way to begin building a nice variety to your playing.

Okay, I'm carrying on. If you want any more inspiration just yell :)

^Chacron^
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'