View post (Buying pick ups, and other hardware problems,)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
05/31/2002 11:24 am
I'm building a guitar at the minute, and this is the first sort of project tah i've gone into...
I've got the main part of the neck sawen and glued together, and the same for the body blank.. So at this point, I need to order my hardware, and i need help with this.
[1] Pickups: I'm going to buy 2 humbuckers (with gibson string spacing), and one single coil (with fender string spacings, and it'll be tilted to fit the gibson string spacings)...
Now, what i'm stuck with are the values for pick ups. I'd like a meduim tone...
I know for single pick up that's between 6k and 9k. For humbuckers that's between 7.5k and 9k. My question is, how close should the values be sot there wont be a noticable difference in volume (this is important because of phase switching). Also what value of pots will need to go with these? (any additional maths explanation with also be aprecaited)
[2] Sheilding: will just the normal shielding tape, or whatever it's called be enough? Any help on this subject will greatly apreciated.
[3]Scratch plate materail: I'm looki9ng for some think that looks like tortoise shell but is GREEN... or some thing that looks like Abalone. (it's not managed to find scratch plate material that fits either description, although there are start scratch plates that look like abalone).