View post (Back in a band)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
07/12/2014 2:09 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorWe really weren't into playing...we felt like we might as well just head home, what's the point. We waited 2 hours to be on stage for about 10 minutes - 4 of those spent setting up :-).

Ok my friend, time to adjust that attitude.

While it is disappointing, gotta play every gig like it matters. Though I understanding this situation is not alike a gigging band but if you are working on stuff like stage presence, you're trying to become better at performing. That means that these 4 to 5 people (that aren't related to you) should get as good a show as you can do.

Never be disappointed by the size of an audience, be happy that there is anyone that cares to listen to you.

What if the others in the band aren't into it too? Change their attitude with simple 'hey, we get to do this so lets have fun with it'.

In 1982, I saw Blue Oyster Cult headline to 14,000 people. They were a great performing band during that show. I saw the same Blue Oyster Cult in 1991 at a club with about 300 to 400 people.

Wanna guess what happened?

The did as good a show, if not better, than when they were playing to 14k...The club was built as a disco in the 70's...had an awkwardly located dance floor in the middle if the room, you couldn't really stand in front of the band like you can at most clubs. The audience had no choice but to pretty much remain seated to watch the band. The set up was not an ideal for bands. Imagine being a true million selling headliner at one time...having to play to that old disco room. They were playing their best for anyone that would listen because they had a passion for it.

See where I'm goin' with this?