View post (Back in a band)

View thread

maggior
maggior
06/26/2014 3:10 pm
Things are really starting to gell with this new group. Last night, we learned "Your Momma Don't Dance" by Loggins and Messina. Fun tune - haven't heard it in ages!!! Two people were missing, so we were in our power trio configuration. We made it work and were able to rip through Day Tripper and Honky Tonk Women. A good session all in all.

At the end, we talked about what out next song should be. As people were tossing out names, I started playing China Grove. Our mentor completely lit up - "that's an awesome song, let's do that one!". Yeah!!! So the work I did on this song a couple of months ago will pay off! I just have to learn the last part of the solo...shouldn't be a problem.

SRV came up in discussion for yet another song. I'm thinking Crossfire. I attempted that song years ago and my chops weren't up to the solos. Now I'm think it might be possible. We'll see...there are some sick, fast, long runs in there...

Next week our mentor won't be around because he has a bunch of gigs. However, the store was kind enough to allow us to use the space on our own. Hopefully everyone will be around so we can firm things up.

Feeling good about things now...hopefully we can carry this momentum through.

Until next time...