View post (Back in a band)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
06/06/2014 11:44 pm
Originally Posted by: maggior- Try out all songs suggested by any band member. You never know what will work until you try it...no matter how outrageous it may seem. Be open minded. If the song is boring or uninspiring to you, figure out how to make your part more interesting to you. If there are parts that are too hard at the moment, wing them or leave then out intially. You can always go back to them if the song seems to work for the band.

This is golden, nothing less. In my own band I'm trying to get together, I've established this as being the most important rule when finding songs to do covers of. As a bare minimum, they should be able to provide a recording of any song they suggest, so the band can actually hear it and decide whether or not to learn it afterwards. At least you've passed the first big hurdle, which I'm still struggling with, even after more than a month, and that is to actually find a time and place for the whole band to jam together. I still can't seem to find a time where both the other guitarist and the Bassist are available.

Good luck on your second season :) keep us posted!
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...