View post (PRS Custom 24 S2 vs. 22 S2)

View thread

maggior
maggior
05/02/2014 9:13 pm
I played the Mira S2 in the store. It is an awesome guitar! It compared quite well to the LP Studio Pro I was comparing it to. The only thing I didn't like was it was so light, it felt cheap. Sturdy feeling though, and I really like the quirky styling of it. Plus the pickup switch was busted on it (way to go GC!!). Tone and playability-wise, I couldn't decide between the 2.

In frustration, I picked up the Custom 24 and was blown away with the playabilty toward the top of the neck!

For me, the Custom 24 felt different and would give me something my Strat and my LP didn't have. The Mira and the LP Studio Pro basically gave me what I already have with my faded Studio LP.

On my Strat and LP, I set the volume and tone controls to max and never touch them...never have to. I'm finding that the volume and tone controls on the PRS are quite usable and have good impact on the manipulating the tone. The pickups seem hot, to the point that any amp model I use in my G5 will break up even with the gain at 0. Rolling back the volume will impact this.

So part of this I think is I need to learn how to manipulate this guitar more. Watching some youtube videos, people are getting some seriously bluesy tones out of this thing, so it is possible. :-).

I noticed that Glenngarry Glen Ross is on Netflix for streaming. I may check it out tonight and take a break from guitars. I may just need to step back and reevaluate with a fresher perspective.

Thanks for the feedback guys...I let you know how it goes.