View post (PRS and Amp Simluation)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
04/25/2014 4:09 pm
Hi maggior - I know what you mean - I have a G3 and some of my guitars "like it" more than others. I can't imagine how/why that might be? Might be an interesting query for Stephen in the tech section? The optimum set-up (from my own experience) from ZOOM is with an active pick-up guitar. Really good tones/sims that way.

As far as the volume control as a gain regulator - I personally consider that as a very significant factor in my judgement/critique/valuation of a guitar. I have some guitars that if you drop volume from 10 to 4 - the gain drops but the volume goes waaaay down. On others I can do 10 to 4 and have the gain drop proportionally but the actual volume drop only slightly. Those are my favorite guitars. I guess it's probably something to do with the pot? Maybe another Tech question? Could be your new PRS is engineered that way? I think once you get used to it and get a feel for what can be achieved this way your going to really like it. My ideal set-up would be a low wattage tube amp and a guitar with a responsive volume control (like yours) with no pedals/processors at all. You can play all sorts of stuff, all night, and never have to touch your amp.

You got a good rig Rich, I think your going to be really happy with it real soon. You might find your Fender and Gibson gathering a little dust :) ((altho I admit I have Fenders and a Gibson that do the knob thing quite well ))

T-Care, Ken