View post (Forming a band)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
05/15/2014 4:07 pm
"A lot of bands start slow, and gather steam.

My band started as two guys; one teaching the other to play guitar.
Then onto playing together with a drum machine and adding vocals;
Then to a full fledged band two guitars, bass and drums.

If you have one other person you can start with and feed off each other the other members will come in time.
And all that time spent jamming just improves your skills all that much more."

You got a great attitude- unfortunately it does not find a lot of company in the musicians community ( here anyway). I am constantly searching for a "casual project" and here's the choices: A) People who are (too) early in their learning curve to do something meaningful and satisfying (first clue: "originals")... or B) People who regard themselves as "pros" and make it very clear they do not associate with anyone less than "pro" level. Which I'm not.

Every once in a blue moon it goes like this: (true story-3 weeks old) I'm selling a guitar. Guy comes to buy it. He's my age and we hit it off immediately. We laugh it up for an hour trading guitar stories. He's got a trio project going that's got about 15 songs done so far. The music is right up my alley (70's rock - more or less). He is open to the notion of a 2nd guitar player. I play a little for him, he likes it and implores me to come play with them. They have space, PA, etc. He draws me a map to the space and we clarify what I need to bring equipment-wise. It's a done deal- I'm stoked - the only variable left is WHEN... he will e-mail me a song list and tell me when to come. (they prac 2x/week). Never heard from him again. No reply to voice message/e-mail. I come close but it never really materializes.

I will cease my frustrated rambling here.

PS: can someone tell me how to use the "quote" function properly?