View post (Paging markm0926)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
03/12/2014 4:55 pm
"What this whole thing has reinformed for me is that a band is so much more than the sum of its parts. Even if everybody can play their part perfectly well 100%, it doesn't matter unless they can do that in the context of the band and keep everything perfectly in sync"

Hi Maggior- Yup, I think that sums up the whole definition of a band that's "tight". When a band is loose EVERYONE can hear it - musicians and otherwise. Music is defined as : the scientific study of TIME and sound. If you don't honor the time side of those elements - the sound side will suffer horribly.

All professional recording acts are "tight" - otherwise they wouldn't be worth recording .... but the band I use as my personal definition as the ultimate in "tight" .... is Huey Lewis and the News. Not my favorite band or even my favorite style but man.... if you listen closely they have some amazing playing on pretty complex arrangements. A perfect paradigm for timing and arrangement excellence.

Continued success on your project maggior - the big day is looming - TIME flys ... :)