View post (Paging markm0926)

View thread

maggior
maggior
03/11/2014 5:00 pm
Actually it was fretsmith that searched you out, but I find this discussion interesting, so I'm glad he did so and I could jump in!

With the small amount of band experience I have, I can completely understand how having only 1 practice for that long would cause you to have a bad performance. The audience may not have realized it concisously, but I'll bet they could sense it on some level.

Sometimes you just have a bad night too.

I'm in a band put together by a local music store. We have a teacher helping us out. One song we've been working on we really had down pat. The following week, he commented "what happened to you guys? Are you feeling off for some reason?". It was like we went backwards 2 steps after gaining 1. I was just a bad night.

What this whole thing has reinformed for me is that a band is so much more than the sum of its parts. Even if everybody can play their part perfectly well 100%, it doesn't matter unless they can do that in the context of the band and keep everything perfectly in sync...even over some bumps you may encounter.

So congrats on getting your follow up gigs!! Hope all goes well!!