View post (Paging markm0926)

View thread

maggior
maggior
03/03/2014 10:46 pm
Pretty cool stories. I like reading these kinds of stories too.

I shared my story before, but I'll repeat it here...

12 years ago, my wife had joined our church choir to sing. She came home and told me that they could use a guitar player. They understood I had limited experience playing with other musicians. I figured it was just strumming chords...how hard could it be???

It was much harder than I thought it would be. I had to learn chords I had never seen before and it felt like every strum required a chord change.

I recorded our practice sessions and practiced for hours and hours. After about a month we were ready for our debut at mass. I was pretty nervous.

There we were at the front of the church and began the opening measures of the opening hymn. Confidently I strum the first few chords and suddenly have this horrible sinking feeling in my stomach. I'm playing the right thing, but it sounds totally wrong. The piano player looks up at me with a look like "what on earth are you doing!?!?". It was just like a nightmare, where no matter what you do it's wrong! I suddenly stop playing and evaluate. I then remembered, duh, the capo, THE CAPO...this songs uses a capo!!! I put the capo on, joined back in and everything sounded fine. Huge sigh of relief.

From then on I wrote on top of the music "CAPO" if the song required a capo.