View post (Paging markm0926)

View thread

compart1
compart1
03/03/2014 10:11 pm
The Bass Player
While, "back in the day", or Middle Sixties to be closer to the right time frame. I had a set of drums that a friends brother fell in love with. I never took to learning drum, so I sold them to him. Short after, I purchased a bass and amp.
I had taken a few lessons then hooked back up with my friend brother. He had found two guitarist he knew from school. We did a few jams and off we went to start a band.
This was short lived for my part. If you recall the starting date, middle sixties and the Veitnam era. That's when I recieved the "Number". This point in life I decided if I was going to serve I would pick what branch of service I wanted.
I told the band about my decision and had selected the Navy. They found another bass player and I took on the role of manager.
The new bass player was way better then I was and had a stage personally.
We had gotten our first gig at a middle school Sock Hop..
Now to the good part of the story. About half way through the night they had an announcement to make.
" We'd like our manager to come up on stage" They told that I was going into the navy. Hey, that was cool guys..
"And we'ed like him to play the next song, No Satisfaction". Yipes, I had not practiced for a few weeks and only used the new bass player bass just to try it out. I said I couldn't play it. The ryhthm guitarist said "not to worry, turn the bass amp down and I'll put in a lot of bass runs". Sounded good to me.
All went good until I over heard took girls standing right at the stage edge in front of the bass amp.
"He wasn't playing"... I felt as small as a toad..
That's my story and I'm sticking to it..