View post (Paging markm0926)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
03/03/2014 4:44 pm
Last month we all discussed your set list for an upcoming gig ... So how did it go ?

Tell us about it. Most gigs generate at least a couple of stories, anecdotes, or incidents that would interest other players.

As a general address - I wish more people would use this particular forum header. "Musicians Life" could/should be a great place for "I remember this one time when...... " . Anything from equipment failure / band discord / bar fights / etc... it's all interesting stuff to other players.( at least to me-?)

I recently went to a winery with a rooftop bar. They had a one-man entertainer playing acoustic guitar and a high-hat with one of those Bose cylindrical PA's.

He was really good and played all genre's well - great vocals too. As part of his act he "randomly" selected a girl from the audience and practically forced her to join him on stage ( the place was PACKED) and play tamborine while he played her/her boyfriends "song" .... turns out the whole thing was a set-up and her boyfriend eventually ended up on stage where he proceeded to propose to her in front of 150+ people/strangers. You could tell she was totally shocked (they were from out-of-town on a weekend vacation- the guy had contacted the scheduled performer and arranged everything) and, of course, said yes. Of course the crowd went wild and I'd have to say I will probably remember that incident for the rest of my life. Pretty darn cool.

What really made it great was how the performer really sold the whole scheme. He made it seem like a part of his normal act right up to the surprise proposal. I already envy'd his great voice and playing but now I additionally admired him for how he took an opportunity/challenge and executed it in such a smooth and seamless way. He may not be making records and headlining tours but I think he still qualifies as a "pro".

Alright- long-winded post, I know ... just trying to get a little story-telling going. Fill us in on how the gig went markm0926