View post (Pro Tools or real Studio?)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/04/2014 7:06 am
Originally Posted by: jasherman72
Not sure where you would find anyone still using analog tape as a lot of the actual tape is no longer being manufactured.

If you're referring to my posts, you might have mis-understood.. I've had a fair amount of recording experience including analog tape, but the multi-track units I have used over the last decade have all been digital, either disc (back in the late 90's) or hard drive based.

I think with computer recording there's a point where yes, if you go to a high enough price range, latency becomes less of a factor and can be readily dealt with. It seems like its that in-between point... not really professional but "better" than a digital four track, where computer based recording struggles. I just hear about guys doing all this tinkering with their computers to get things working ok; meanwhile, I can just fire up the D3200 and be recording without issue. I'd still like to look into something like Logic and see if I could get it working to satisfaction, but at the moment I'm fine with the stand-alone digital multi-trackers I currently have.

Its worth mentioning though that not everything is about the software. I have the ability to record really great vocals, and have repeatedly used my setup to record professional voice over artists for paid sessions... but that's more to do with having a high quality Neumann mic and outboard compressor unit. A cheap mic plugged into a USB interface is not even going to come close in terms of sound quality no matter how much software and processing you throw at it.