View post (Making a Home Demo)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/19/2014 2:13 pm
It sounds very 'live'...as if it was recorded at a club. Not this would be abd thing but, you are going for a studio recording. I am focusing on 'Rockin' in a Free World.'..So, a few thing below:

1) Vocals, way too present in the mix. Vocals do need to have a solid presence in the mix, no doubt. However, the remainder of the mix is lost behind it.
2) The guitars, while audible, are not very alive in the mix. I hear the guitar but I don't feel them.
3) Drums, like another said, are pretty loud in the mix. Moreover, the hi-hat is very splashy. Drums that are recorded as, perhaps, one channel are very challenging. I mean, it would be good to have a little noise gating on the hi-hat but suspect that may be harder to do.

With that said, it is a good live mix.

One thing I would say is if you used a good bit of reverb, back off from that. It sound very echo-y. Reverb is like salt on a steak; it can make something good that much better but too much and it's then a bad thing. I think particularly for this set up, you may want to still work with the EQ quite a bit. Also, because it is a very loose mix, trying to strategically add compression (check out here and here ).

The mix isn't bad so much as the way it was recorded needs some finessing with the tools you have available.