View post (Guitar building)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
12/10/2013 7:39 pm
Hi Randy - I've also built 3 solid body electrics ( from scratch, not a "kit") about 10 yrs ago. For the most part I was/am pretty happy with the results. One I sold. One of the remaining 2 I have recently tore apart and am "re-doing" it to see if I can get it to the next level.. so far coming along nicely. I found the most challenging aspect is that, in order to build a truly awesome guitar, you need a pretty big, and expensive, library of specialty tools and jigs. None-the-less, I made do with what I could come up with and there's a lot of satisfaction from showing someone a guitar you made completely from scratch. If U haven't already seen it, there's a youtube video ( 30 parts/about 5 hours long!) of a guy doing a Warmoth KIT strat. Absolutely amazing. I figured out that, for me to duplicate his level of precision and end result, I'd have to invest in at LEAST $700 worth of tools/jigs (in addition to a pretty good assortment of tools I already have). Out of my reach so I settle with knowing I did a pretty damn good job with what I had. Happy sandpapering! ( U know what I mean:)