View post (Late night jam...)

View thread

maggior
maggior
12/10/2013 8:38 pm
Originally Posted by: fretsmithNice post Slip- very worthwhile listening. I agree that recovering from a "mistake" can lead to some really interesting stuff- especially if you're NOT recording and NO ONE is listening. If someone is listening to me and I have a "rough landing" ... it usually leads to a full blown crash. ugh.

This made me laugh! Having an audience you can understand, but recording...nothing's really different :-). Yet it happens to me all of the time. I can't tell you how many times I'll go to record something I've played through flawlessly numerous times and then once I hit "record", you'd think I just started cold and totally flub it up.

Years ago we had a spontaneous jam at a friend's summer party. I was setting up my gear and was playing through the Comfortably Numb solos to warm up. It was fine until I became aware of the keyboard player starting to play behind me. Once I became aware of that, my hands just plain forgot what to do and it was a full blown crash.

There's something to be said for practicing with a band with regularity...if you can.