View post (Late night jam...)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
12/06/2013 10:31 pm
Thanks Compart.. I didn't really do an "outro" as much as I just felt "eh, that's enough...." and just stopped playing as I was just winging it... the loop would go on forever if I wanted it to!

Maggior, the guitar is a American Standard Strat that I bought back in the 90's... so its just your normal Strat with single coils... I'm on the bridge pickup. The JS10 is cool.. but pricey and not without its flaws. It doesn't sound that great through the built-in speakers, but does sound really nice through the headphones. The big plus with it is the plug/play/record simplicity. Its great for jamming to backing tracks. One touch record. Turn the unit off, go away, come back, turn it on, it remembers the song and patch you were on. I was very lucky to find one used for $200 as they sell for $469 new. I use mine pretty much every practice session. I have a DR880 which I use a fair bit too, which is very different in that it can't play backing tracks, but has excellent built-in drum & bass sounds and can be programed. With the JS10, you can slow a song down, but the audio quality goes out the window. With the DR880, you can set any tempo you want, and the audio quality is unaffected. I do like the A/B function on the JS10, which allows you to set in point "A" and out point "B", and then it just repeats that section over and over. Great for working on a specific section of a song.

You might want to check out the BOSS BR 80 which is like the JS10, but without speakers. The BR80 also has a built-in four track, and is not quite half the price of the JS10.

For just something to jam to, another really cheap option would be one of Korg's Pandora units... the link is to the Pandora Mini, but you can also get the PX4 on Ebay for under $100, or the new PX5... I believe all of them have a an input, so if you have backing tracks that you can play on your computer, you could plug your computer into the Pandora and then jam along with it. Fun stuff!