View post (Emotive Ballad - Improvisation)

View thread

wolbai
wolbai
11/18/2013 11:11 am
Initially I just wanted to swap the bridge full size humbucker on my H-S-S Stratocaster (James Tyler Variax JTV 69) for a more beefier Rhytmn and leadsound. The new bridge pup is a Seymour Duncan JB-TB4.

Pretty well known for 80s rock style music. The bridge pup can be considered as a high output pickup (16,4 kohms).

But the story then just started. I wasn't able to balance the remaining Neck and middle pickup volume wise with the new bridge humbucker (not really surprising just by considering the specs).

So I swapped the remaining neck and middle pickup too and installed two Kinman AVn69 pups: hum cancelled, surprisingly very dynamical, glassy and close to the traditional Strat sound. They clean up very nicely with the volume knob. The pickups can be adjusted pretty close to the strings without negative sound effects.

Although it is somehow an adventure to swap existing pickups with after market pickups, new pickups can be a big sound improvement for existing guitars. Therefore it is worthwhile to deal with that before buying a new guitar.

Did an improvisation with the new pups on a nice playback (jamtrackcentral.com) I have discovered during my research for new pickups. Played also a bit with fingers in the second part.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12560369&q=hi&newref=1

Glad to hear some feedback.