View post (New Guitar Tuning)

View thread

maggior
maggior
11/05/2013 9:31 pm
Originally Posted by: ianroxI recently bought a beautiful new Gibson ES 335 and I'm having a tough time with the tuning of it. When I am finally able to tune it, it doesn't stay in tune for very long and as I tune it I hear the string suddenly twang as if it were sticking on something like the nut or the tuner. Also when it is in tune some chord tones sound a little sharp especially anything involving the 'G' string. I was also wondering if when it is in tune (open strings), if I put a capo on, for example, the third fret should my tuner then read G C F Bflat D g all in perfect tune (because it doesn't)? Any advice here would be greatly appreciated

There could be some resistence in the nut. Try taking a pencil and getting some pencil lead (graphite) in the grooves. Also try getting any grit that might be it he nut grooves out.

Did you put on different strings (heavier guage) that what came with the guitar? If you went to heavier strings, you may have to have somebody widen the slots in the nut for the larger strings.

If if never sounds like it's in tune, even though it is, perhaps the intonation is off.

If you just bought it, I suggest you take it back and have one of their techs give it a once over.

Another possibility that comes to mind is it could be a defective set of strings - you could try putting a fresh set on.