View post (How to come up with great lyrics?)

View thread

maggior
maggior
10/28/2013 8:10 pm
Originally Posted by: FeurtelYou previously said that you may end up with lyrics, but you find them badly written. Have you considered using a synonym / thesaurus dictionary ? Express the same thing with different words, words that you do not use in normal conversation, make unusual words associations. The most basic concepts can suddently get a flavour, a third dimension. See what I mean ? A rhyming dictionary will help you too.

Reading this comment made me think of something else...we are often our own worst critics!! It could be that what you've come up with yourself isn't as bad as you think. Perhaps you could have somebody you know well that you trust to give you an honest opinion read something you've written over. Just prepare yourself for their honesty if they don't like it.

In my college freshman english class, we had to keep a journal throughout the entire semester. We had to write a full page each night. It could be about anything, random words, stream of conciousness, the same sentence over and over again...the professor didn't care. The idea was that you learned to write well by writing, and keeping a journal was good practice.

I'm sure you're frustrated...but I'm sure there are folks out there that can't come up with a good riff to save their life but can write lyrics on command.