View post (From Lisa to Anders)

View thread

BeenAWhile
BeenAWhile
09/23/2013 5:44 pm
First of all I have to say GT rocks! I've been a member for just over a year and I love it.
Long story short... I have a really nice acoustic guitar (Collings OM2H) that I bought when I wanted to learn finger picking. I went to a very good guitar store and got good advice, but I knew that I wanted a small body, high quality guitar I could grow with. Then I went through Lisa's lessons, which added so much more colour to my old sing-along nostalgia ballad type stuff from the 60s (I'm an old guy).
Cut to the present... I'm working through Anders' blues course. And wow! Instead of just playing songs I'm exploring on the guitar and just discovering so much. But... it seems I really *need* an electric to get the most out of the course and to enjoy this genre more.
Here's my question, do I get a nice can't-go-wrong guitar, say an American Strat and suitable amp, and see where it leads in terms of music and tones I want, and then perhaps look for the "right" electric for me, or do I work with my local experts and try to find that "right electric" guitar right off the bat. I know I like clean sounds and would lean toward blues, classic rock and not heavily overdriven and metal tones.
Any advice? I feel like a total newb when it comes to electric.