View post (Frustration...)

View thread

cabab11
cabab11
08/04/2013 5:17 pm
Thanks Slipin Lizard and lawmason 69. You are quite right in what you say. I finally picked up playing the( acoustic) guitar properly this year, after years of not really getting anywhere fast! I did have a few lessons to begin with , and my tutor taught me a lot, but mostly about mindset, to get past my early frustration and that you have to take your time, practice and don't be too hard on yourself. I slipped into fingerpicking by accident and found it was one thing I enjoyed playing- and I think that's the key- you learn more, when you enjoy what you play. It also helps if the teacher goes at your pace and at a level respective to you. Don't know if it's Ok to mention on here, but if anyone wants to start learning Blues guitar, there is a site called 'Blues Unleashed' with a guy called Griff Hamlin. He teaches Blues in a very easy way and plays slow so you can see what he is doing, which is what you need when you start. Even I could figure it out!!I only recently joined this site, and there are various degrees of lessons on here. If you pick something too advanced, it will discourage you. There is a difference between stretching yourself and jumping too far to begin with (I nearly fell into that trap). And if you want to hear someone who played really expressive Blues, look no further than Peter Greene of the Original Fleetwood Mac. It doesn't have to be fast , furious or all up above the 12th fret. In fact, it sounds more melodic if it isn't. So keep on going GreggRich 1-You have an advantage if you already play acoustic. Just find someone whose teaching style you like, take it steady and just build upward from what you know. Cheers!