View post (What is wrong with me?)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/29/2013 5:42 pm
Originally Posted by: SlickString
Chill man!

Why such high aspirations? Why the need to be a kick ass sniper? Why sell the Xbox? Why give up electric guitar?

I suggest you take a break, relax and then decide what you want from guitar

It wasn't an "extreme" thing... the level I would like to reach with guitar is just highly competent. I want to have a solid technique and clear understanding & command of the fretboard, and I feel I have a good path for how to get there with the exception on the physical problems.

But taking a break didn't work... I guess I didn't make it clear... I got to a point where I could neither play guitar, or my XBox due to the physical pain I was experiencing. Since guitar was much, much more important to me, I got rid of the XBox, but maybe you misunderstood; I didn't play guitar, at all, for almost a full year. So, taking a break didn't help, because when I came back to it, the pain just started right up again.

I've already decided what I want from guitar, that's why I started up with it again. I have specific styles of play & tone in mind, and know where I want to go with it. This was all about starting up again, first slowly with the acoustic, which was no issue, then with the electric which even just 10 minutes was giving me problems.

I think its a combination of a bunch of things that the others have already hit upon. One thing that seems to be helping a lot is every evening I do a gentle workout with a Dynaflex and that seems to help with the wrist pain a lot. If I get to a point where I feel I have the problem truly licked, I'll layout what's working for me so hopefully anyone else that's starts having the same problem can benefit. Again, thanks for all the responses!