View post (Take it for what it's worth... Practice with a metronome)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/20/2013 7:05 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlacker
I'm trying to program a new pattern. An exercise pattern for learning how to keep time better.

I'd recommend a straight, kick-snare-hi-hat pattern. Kick on the one beat, snare on the two, kick three, snare four, then 1/8th notes for the hi-hat, 1and2and3andfourand... That will prevent the drums from over-whelming your guitar, and still give you a really solid pattern to keep time. That works for me. Another thing that helped was clapping along with the beat, especially for getting 16th notes with the right timing. You can also probably use some of the preset patterns like "Straight Rock" and just turn the bass off. Thanks for bringing all this up by the way... I literally just finished a nice little jam session because your post motivated me to get my DR880 out... even though we're renovating, I have a place where I can practice and then just put everything in a big tupperware container when I'm done. Home renos are not fun!

Intepid Dad, you might want to check out the Korg Pandora.. lots of guys seem to like them, and its much cheaper than a DR880. I think having something that you can plug into, with built-in guitar processing, along with drums & bass patterns is the way to go (as opposed to similarly priced drum machines that only have drum sounds, and you'd have to plug into amplification). Here's the link to one place that sells the Pandora:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/korg-pandora-px5d-guitar-multi-effects-processor#review