View post (Pickup cutting out)

View thread

James8831
James8831
04/15/2002 7:56 pm
sighs...OK, the neck pickup on my Gibbo is cutting out at intermintent intervals sometime she's fine other times output drops to 0./ i have so far re-soldered :neck connection to switch,vol connection to switch,braid to neck vol,jack socket plus ground to pots. and a couple of others.

All the above wires displayed poor contacts and caused crackles when moved gently.

Every time i re solder a wire it plays fine for say 30 mins then screws up again -this happens, more noticably when switching pups.

I have noticed that there is a plain wire from the neck pup to the switch which is cut off at the insulation - i've only done a 3 conductor LP copy before [loom half wired already], so have no knowledge of 4 conductors. For the record it's a Gibson 490R.

The shop is too far away or i'd take it back for an overhaul..[aah now i see the fly in the ointment of travelling to get bargains:)]

I'm beginning to suspect the Vol pot- yet it's "silent" and works fine when the pickup does..shall i get the old meter out and try and meter it while seeing if it dies??.

I'm flummoxed!

*knew I should have done more gibsons,before buying a cheapy*

Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..