Six of Music's Most Influential Women Guitarists

fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
09/25/2016 11:10 pm

I think we definitely need to add Ruyter Suys to this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruyter_Suys

check out her playing on this video of an ac/dc cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBcAfd_a3SE
# 1
zombiebrainspace
zombiebrainspace
10/05/2016 8:13 am

Poison Ivy - wrote the songs, played the guitars and baritone on the recordings, was the pinup cover girl of the albums AND managed the band. The Cramps were massively influential, especially here in Australia - after their first tour a stupendous amount of great bands were formed.
Sublime guitarist.
# 2
MarvaGrossman
Full Access
MarvaGrossman
Full Access
05/16/2017 7:36 pm

Wow. I really needed to read this thread. I realize the original post is quite old; I am grateful to the posters who kept bumping it up over the last few years so I could see it today.

I have been thinking about the lack of prominent women in guitar a great deal over the last few months, as I've slowly picked up the guitar again. Maybe it shouldn't mater to me so much - I'm a grown woman, not a child, and reasonably I shouldn't need to see "someone who looks like me" doing something in order to believe I can do it too. But it does. It does matter. Because even for me, the distance from noticing that "women don't play electric guitar" to believing that "women CAN'T play electric guitar" is terribly short.

I specify electric guitar because I was already aware of a number of classical guitar virtuosos. Ana Vidovic has already been mentioned here. I can also add, off the top of my head, the names of Sharon Isbin (Sharon Isbin - Asturias) and Tatyana Ryzhkova (F. Tárrega, Capricho Arabe performed by Tatyana Ryzhkova). But they all play classical guitar. Not blues, jazz or rock. Not Teles or Strats or Les Pauls or ES-175s. And yes, that matters. Because guitarists growing up today are still learning that electric guitars, like cars and airplanes, are toys for boys. And a girl who dreams of making a Telecaster cry and sing can feel... lonely, sometimes.

# 3
g.mccurry
Full Access
g.mccurry
Full Access
06/27/2017 3:44 am
Originally Posted by: Jerry DylanI think Emily Remler should be on that list. She's an absolutely amazing female jazz guitarist.
I had one of her hot licks dvds years ago I am not a jazzer theres no denying her talent?

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.