View post (Who do you try to impress?)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
04/14/2002 2:01 am
We are attracted to different people and different situations for different reasons, reasons that simply blow our minds. We are who we are, and we can't change that, but we can educate ourselves as the years go by, so we can simply figure out what we want and where we want to be.

Personally, I'm very old fashioned, and I guess throughout all of the confusion that I face daily, as the day comes to a close there are always many different ideas still floating around in my head. And it's an amazing sense if relief to be able to simply finish a thought. When it comes to songwriting, there is simply music and words. And when we can apply both to a composition, it's an amazing feeling, its almost like we are defining certain moments in our lives. Almost like keeping a journal, once we finish a song, we can always look back and remember where it came from, or what was going on in our life at that time.

Yes, It's an amazing feeling, and it's something that we can forever cherrish as songwriters. However, for some people that feeling (to simply finish a thought) isn't enough. For some people it's all about public praise and recognition. For some people they can't even begin to work on a song uness they know who will hear it, when they will hear it, and how big it will ultimately turn out to be. But I think that kind of defeats your purpose.

Personally, I just like putting myself in a trance and taking myself away from the crowded world. Just to be at peace with myself after a long day. Just to know who we are, and to be able to remember some of the best moments in our lives.

Throughout the many relationships that we've been involved in as the years progress, sometimes all it takes is a little something, or perhaps a sudden reconciliation to get your thoughts pumping like never before. I think once we can strengthen that bond with that special someone, it simply makes us happy, and gives us more faith in our creations. Which helps to put our life into perspective.

When it comes to hope it kind of means that everything is left up in the air, and out of our hands. Where we're hoping that things will work out, but we never really can tell. But when we have faith, simply faith in who we are and faith in others, anything can happen. And we can turn some of the worst situations in our lives into pure magic.

So, I'll alwaus write songs, until I can no longer find meaning in my life. Until I no longer feel the need to define some of the most memories days pof my life. I write hundreds of songs, I don't always like what I write, and some weeks I feel the urge to throw a lot of my material away. But it's all a part of history which reminds us of the good the bad, and all that we can never get back again.

So as songwriters, from the very beginning what has always been more glamourous for you. Public praise, or (just to simply finish a thought) simply finding comfort in your creations?

-Joseph

[Edited by Joseph on 04-13-2002 at 09:04 PM]
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."