View post (The relationship between record companies and radio stations,mtv,the grammies,etc)

View thread

kingdavid
kingdavid
04/10/2002 1:27 pm
Blacksmith,I get the feeling you know what you're talking about.How about giving the long explanation?If like I said you feel it's too long to post here,e-mail me.If it's too long to fit into my current mailbox with all the stuff in it,I'll open a new account.:)
What do you know about how radio stations and ASCAP/BMI relate?Being the conspiracy theorist that I am,this is what I'm thinking;since radio stations are supposed to pay royalties to the labels(they'd tell you it's for the artists),wouldn't a huge radio network(these kind of networks,syndications,where one entity controls,like,80-90% of the radio stations in a country,don'r exist in Kenya,and I think,much of Africa)which would end up paying loads of cash to a label or a consortium of labels with many of their artists doing stuff give more air play to whoever in return for reduced royalties?That kind of thing?if this can't happen,why not?
I believe the kind of info I'm looking for can be found maybe even in the archives of media houses and so on.If you have it,let me know.