View post (Cheap vs. Expensive Guitars: Four Common Misconceptions)

View thread

SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
06/11/2012 11:17 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTBut what of the beginner? What can we suggest for the beginner that hasn't developed an ear...that hasn't heard a bunch of different guitars from a bunch of different manufacturers...or hasn't found that 20, 30 or 50-year old guitar at a garage sale or an estate auction? What of a beginner that doesn't yet recognize the sound and playability of a really good instrument over an average one?

Very good point. I was that beginner once with an undeveloped ear. I went to the music store and bought a fender american strat since it was and his probably the most versatile guitar out there. It costs me a grand and I thought I was gone sound better. :P Wrong !

It could have been a lemon, but years later (with a developed ear ) it is one hell of a good guitar and my favorite axe.
I think that by buying an expensive guitar, you have more chance of getting something good. But like you guys already mentioned, cheap guitars dosnt mean they sound bad. You just have to search a little more and you can find something that will rival with the expensive ones. But you need a set up !